Friday, August 26, 2005

edinburgh - festival of travel blunders

Saturday morning, after a pointless hour of post-Summer Ball slumber, Bronwyn and I travelled breezily to the airport at 05:45 knowing that we would arrive a mere half an hour before our flight. Clearly our heads were still filled with bad techno beats as we were actually surprised when the self check-in machine told us the flight had CLOSED. My heart rate quickened and Bronwyn's demeanour reflected my thoughts as we scurried around Heathrow Terminal 1 trying to find an attendant who would take pity on us. All we eventually got was a scolding from the nasty supervisor who pointed us in the direction of the ticket desk and suggested we sweet-talk a ticket clerk who may be more sympathetic than she was willing to be at 06:30, airport rush-hour. After smiling sweetly and playing the role of 'two silly girls' very well, we landed two standby seats on the next flight to Edinburgh. Phe-ew! The sheer irony of the situation is that I am a travel coordinator, so it is my job to tell people what time to to be at the airport!
Once through the gate, I thought the madness ended there, but thanks to my abundance of accessories, I set off the metal detector. Not only did the security lady check me, but she really CHECKED me. Bronwyn stood staring at the scene, agape, until I asked her politely to "...keep moving. Nothing to see here." I felt violated to say the least!
On arrival at Edinburgh we were greeted by the beautiful castle on the hill, ready to explore the historical city with so much promise of art and culture during this time of the year.
We saw a couple of shows at the Fringe Festival. I wont bore you, but if you do care, they were Scaramouche Jones and The Umbilical Brothers who never fail to blow me away! If you ever have a chance to see these guys, do yourself a favour and make sure you work your abs a couple of weeks beforehand otherwise you will feel the effects of laughter for a few days after.
Thanks to God for the great weather provided and to Janine for 'putting us up' on one of the most expensive roads in Edinburgh while her bosses were away at their castle.
The trip home was less adventurous, but I did bump into a friend of mine while wandering the streets of Edinburgh and was pleasantly surprised when he ended up on our flight home. As Bronwyn says, 'Do you ever go anywhere without knowing someone??' Hey, some people are just magnetic :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home