Tuesday, July 26, 2005

stressing the need for peace

When you live in a city like London, there are times when your need to escape the hubbub becomes so overwhelming that you fear a loss of reasoning if you do not find a suitable retreat.
After 2 months of cramming more undertakings into my life than you would witness in an episode of "24" I found myself running quite empty. So, last night I left work with one purpose in mind - find a quiet place in London.
For all of you who are against major corporations 'taking over the world' you will be displeased to hear that my friends and I are Starbucks devotees. This in mind, my natural path to tranquility took me straight to Starbucks in Borders bookshop. To my dismay it was overrun with loud, enthusiatic coffee consumers, so I did a speedy 180° turn and headed down the road.
But, as you would expect in a city of 15 million people, I ran straight into a friend from Sydney!
After a 40 min, in-depth catch up in the middle of rush-hour on Oxford St, I continued my journey towards familiar territory (thanks to post-Hillsong coffee on a Sunday) at Tottenham Court Rd. After my trek, I couldn't even feign interest in the jazz band that had attracted the other half of London that wasn't in the previous Starbucks!
I did eventually regain some sanity while listening to cd's in the Virgin Megastore and surrendered to the fact that if it is quiet that I yearn for, I clearly live in the wrong city.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger foxy_roxtar said...

I found my utopia! For anyone interested, there is a Starbucks on James Street, across from Bond St tube station that, according to one of their employees, is 'always this quiet'. I told him he has a new customer!! Just goes to show, if you look hard enough....

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home